Services Offered for Children
There is a special Place2Be room inside the school where children can go to express and think about their worries, through talking, creative work and play. Trained adults called School Project Managers support this process, helping children to find new ways of coping with difficulties so they don’t get in the way of friendships or learning.
Times when we’re especially useful
There are times when children feel especially sad, confused, fearful or angry, due to family problems such as separation or illness, or even the death of a much-loved pet. Some may become withdrawn; others may become demanding or challenging in their behaviour: that’s when having Place2Be in school is especially helpful.
- 1 to 1 sessions for individual children, by referral only, for 45 minutes every week in the school.
- Referrals can be made by staff, parents or the children themselves.
- Duration = 1 to 3 terms. Children are collected and returned to class by Volunteer Counsellors (VCs).
For some children, group work may be more suitable.
- Groups of up to 8 children on themes as discussed and agreed with the School Management Team (e.g. transition, bullying, self-esteem).
- Usually held in the Spring/Summer terms.
Place2Talk – Self-referral service:
Place2Talk is available to all children at Hillbrook from year 2 upwards. It offers a chance for children to talk through any situations they need to with the School Project Manager. Some children talk about difficulties such as arguments with friends or classroom worries, others will share exciting news or achievements. Place2Talk helps to foster a culture within the school in which children feel comfortable talking about their experiences and feelings.
- Lunchtime service for all children.
- Children self-refer by posting a slip in the P2B post box for one off sessions.
- 15 minute sessions with School Project Manager (SPM) for individuals or groups of children.
We always obtain consent from parents/carers before working with children using any of these services.