Services Offered for Children
There is a special Place2Be room inside the school where children can go to express and think about their worries, through talking, creative work and play. Trained adults called School Project Managers support this process, helping children to find new ways of coping with difficulties so they don’t get in the way of friendships or learning.
There are times when children feel especially sad, confused, fearful or angry, due to family problems such as separation or illness, or even the death of a much-loved pet. Some may become withdrawn; others may become demanding or challenging in their behaviour. That’s when having Place2Be in school is especially helpful. Individual sessions are:
- a result of a referral made by staff, parents or the children themselves
- 1 to 1 for individual children, by referral only
- 45 minutes every week during school time in our Place2Be room
- 1 to 3 terms.
For some children, group work may be more suitable:
- Groups of up to 8 children work on themes that have been discussed and agreed by the School Management Team (e.g. transition, bullying, self-esteem)
- Groups are usually held in the Spring and Summer terms
Place2Talk – Self-referral service:
Place2Talk is available to children at Hillbrook from year 2 upwards. It offers a chance for children to talk through any situations they need to with the School Project Manager. Some children talk about difficulties such as arguments with friends or classroom worries, others will share exciting news or achievements. Place2Talk helps to foster a culture within the school in which children feel comfortable talking about their experiences and feelings. Place2Talk offers:
- A lunchtime service for children
- A self-referral service accessed by children posting a slip in the P2B post box for one-off sessions
- 15 minute sessions with School Project Manager for individuals or groups of children.
We always obtain consent from parents/carers before working with children using any of these services.