At Hillbrook, we recognise that the quality and variety of language that pupils hear and speak are vital for developing their vocabulary and grammar and their understanding for reading and writing.
- Pupils are supported to speak in standard English at all times whilst at school and all staff are expected to act as role models for this.
- Opportunities for talk and oracy are woven into the curriculum both in formal situations such as through debates and poetry recitals and also through more informal ways such as elaboration of ideas and explanation of understanding.
- Drama is used in lessons to enhance teaching and learning and children enjoy theatre performances kindly funded by our PFTA as well as those delivered by our own pupils who attend Drama club.
- Children are exposed to rich vocabulary during their daily storytime sessions which are enjoyed by all children from Nursery to Year 6.
- Our talk-based approach to the teaching of reading comprehension offers a valuable platform for children to discuss texts share opinions and formulate arguments as well as communicate and respond to thoughts and ideas effectively.
- Environments are language-rich and opportunities for children to encounter and be taught new and ambitious vocabulary are taken.
- Home languages are celebrated and children are encouraged to continue to speak their home language both at home and school, alongside the English language.